- A novel VDR agonist (VDRA) with an exceptionally wide therapeutic index (>50x) suitable for the treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism, disease progression and complications in Stage 3/4/5 chronic kidney disease (CKD), and for osteoporosis.
- In pre-clinical CKD and osteoporosis animal models VS-105 not only suppresses parathyroid hormone, but also reduces proteinuria, improves cardiac/endothelial function, reduces heart and kidney fibrosis, and exhibits potent anabolic bone effects in a dose range that doesn’t affect serum calcium.
- Phase I SAD study has been completed: No AEs or other issues observed.
VS-505 and VS-605
- VS-505 is a novel phosphate binder derived from iron and gum Arabic. Each Size 2 capsule contains 250 mg of the complex with 30% iron (III) and 70% gum Arabic.
- VS-605 is a novel phosphate binder derived from Mg and gum Arabic. Each Size 2 capsule contains 250 mg of the complex with 30% Mg (II) and 70% gum Arabic.
- Both act in the gastrointestinal tract without systemic exposure.
- Both have a high density (~1.9 g/mL) and a low swell-volume, which predicts a lower pill burden and greatly improved gastrointestinal safety profile. Pill burden and GI tolerability issues have been identified as significant factors contributing to low compliance for prescribed phosphate binder therapy in CKD patients.
- Both suitable to be developed as drugs or medical food to treat phosphate imbalance and maintain normal serum phosphate.
- VS-505 has been evaluated in a proof-of concept clinical trial in hemodialysis patients. It is highly efficacious with minimal side effects; it also improves bowel movement and has no effect on plasma iron, transferrin, TSAT, and ferritin.